In this Premium Niche Report, I’ll show you how to make a gaming website.
There are some truly amazing opportunities if you’re passionate about creating Gaming content, especially if you know where to look.
While the YouTube gaming landscape captures a disproportionate share of the public imagination with sensational thumbnails and clickbait video titles, there’s a lot of space in this niche for quality websites.
And even for niche-targeted YouTube video content as a secondary traffic source.
In this report, I’ll walk you through an overview of the gaming niche, show you some sample styles of site you could create, how to get traffic, as well as monetization strategies.
First, let’s get a glimpse of some staggering gaming industry stats- all pulled from this fantastic resource.
Gaming Industry Stats
- The video games market is expected to be worth over 90 billion U.S. dollars by 2020, from nearly 78.61 billion in 2017
- Smartphones and tablets are taking over the global games market, taking up 34% of the global games market share in 2015.
- There are more than 2.5 billion video gamers from all over the world.
- 80% of the total video game industry’s 36 billion U.S dollars revenue in 2017 belongs to software sales.
- TV/Console/VR is expected to take up 26% of the games market worldwide revenue in 2019.
- 40% of customers opt to play games on online/social platforms while only 29% prefer using a console.
- A 20% increase in PC and console full game revenue is expected in 2018 from 2015.
- 27.5% of video games sold in the United States in 2016 were shooter games.
- The Sims 3 sold the most units and is recognized as the best selling PC games of all time around the world, with a total of 7.95 million units sold as of January 2018.
- 52% of core PC gamers in China are playing PUBG.
*Source: Check out this page for a ton of fascinating gaming industry statistics.
General Gaming Keyword Research
elow, I extracted 1,000 of GameSpot’s top-performing organic keywords.
Because this is a ‘general’ gaming site, the keyword research table below displays a broad, thematic overview of popular gaming niches.
Refer back to his table as you read the guide for inspiration, and even download it, by clicking the Download CSV button in the bottom right corner.
For reference, here’s a key for the Difficulty Score metric in the table:
Remember, take the KD metrics with a grain of salt- inside these mega, 6-figure search terms sit hundreds of thousands of smaller, less competitive keywords you can be creating content for on your website and other social channels.
Getting An Overview
The best way I think I can help you get started in this niche is to walk you through my own niche research process.
I’m not immediately familiar with modern gaming.
When I was younger, I was obsessed with Super Nintendo and later on with arcade game emulation (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator).
But I’m pretty out of the loop. I’m 37 now and haven’t really ‘gamed’ since my late twenties.
So, to get started, a good way to analyze the different opportunities in the video gaming niche is to take a look at Wikipedia.
Here’s a screenshot of their table of contents for their video gaming entry:
You can see a logically structured mindmap of the niche- this could help you pick a Category of gaming culture to build a site around.
For example, you could focus on Virtual Reality. Let’s dive into VR for a minute…