[Case Study] How To Make Money Online Promoting Hardware
One word: pliers.
This is honestly a pretty awesome niche. Unless you're a carpenter or machinist, you'd be surprised how many different types of pliers there are.
From snap ring pliers and needle-nosed pliers, to flat nose pliers and electrician pliers- there are a lot of specialty hand tools out there for different industries.
This niche is just dying for someone to help disambiguate it a bit and generate recurring affiliate revenue for themselves.
I first published this niche report focusing on pliers, but it really applies to any type of hardware: hammers, wrenches, drills, etc. Read on with that in mind- though I focus on pliers just understand that you can apply these strategies to any hardware item, whether you niche down to a type of tool, or you specialize in something more general.
Home Depot Keyword Research
To get a sense of all the hardware keywords out there- I extracted 1,000 of Home Depot's top-performing keywords.
Use this table to brainstorm the tools niche. Below, I'm going to use pliers as a niche example.
How To Get Started In This Niche
- If you want a complete, step-by-step system to start growing your own highly profitable affiliate & authority niche site, check out AuthorityHacker's Authority Site System
- A reliable and fast hosting solution like SiteGround (it's what I use)
- A brandable domain name from GoDaddy (my guide)
- A premium theme- I use GeneratePress but there are some cool niche themes on ThemeForest
- Image & graphics from DepositPhotos (all legal and licensed)
- Content from iWriter (my review)
- An automated social media drip campaign from MissingLettr (my review)
- An auto-responder to build your email list– ConvertKit is what I'm using
- Finally- you can always refer to my free step-by-step niche selection guide and all of my free niche reports for inspiration
How To Get Started
- Choose a fun, brandable domain name
- Keyword research- I use both LongTailPro and Ahrefs for keyword research. This will help you figure out the keywords to target.
- Buy up some pliers from Amazon when you're ready to begin (you can always return or re-sell them)
- Shoot unboxing videos and writeup your reviews.
- You'll want to apply to the Amazon Associates affiliate program once you have a website up and running for best chances of getting accepted.
- Publish and promote your material across different platforms.
- Over time, you will make money, if your content is good. You honestly don't even need to promote it because the SEO competition is so weak. Though I'd recommend marketing your content cross platform.
Top Ranking Plier Content
The products don't cost much, so your commissions might be low on a per-item basis, but you can make up for this with volume of sales on high-search-volume terms. If I were just starting out, this is a project I'd love to take on.
This doesn't need to be a life's work- I'd imagine 2 months of work could establish a really solid baseline. Especially if you follow my advice and make all your content epic and produce content cross-channel.
- A lot of the pliers aren't that expensive- so commissions will be somewhat low on them, but you can make that up by volume.