Please note that affiliate links may be included in some posts.
If you're an engineer or of a scientific bent, this is a great niche for you.
I've made over a thousand dollars promoting expensive oscilloscopes on my review site.
I like them because they are ultra-expensive (some cost thousands of dollars), there's lots of obscure terms to get long-tail organic traffic for, and very few people write about them because they are incredibly complex tools.
This is a great recipe for a niche site: a high-end product that needs a search marketer to help provide some disambiguation + enhanced user experience.
What is an oscilloscope?
Rather than try to explain what an oscillscope is, I'll defer to Wikipedia:
“An oscilloscope, previously called an oscillograph, and informally known as a scope, CRO (for cathode-ray oscilloscope), or DSO (for the more modern digital storage oscilloscope), is a type of electronic test instrument that allows observation of constantly varying signal voltages, usually as a two-dimensional plot of one or more signals as a function of time. Other signals (such as sound or vibration) can be converted to voltages and displayed.”
*If Google Trends doesn't load- just refresh the page.
Ranging in price from $250 to $25,000 (roughly), there's a lot of affiliate income to be made in this niche. Let's take a look at some of the search traffic for the term "oscilloscope".
Oscilloscope Keyword Research
As you can see, there's lots of search volume for primary and long-tail keywords. As well, Amazon is rife with similar searches- for both the scopes themselves, plus accessory equipment and brand terms like "Rigol".
It would be easy to create a junky oscilloscope affiliate site and make some money, but the real win here will be providing true value. How do you do that? Think outside the box.
For example, you could contact your local university's engineering department and see if they'd be willing to demonstrate some oscilloscopes for you. You could shoot video of these demonstrations and even pay the staff to do some write-ups for your site.
In fact, some of the top-ranking pages for oscilloscope keywords are YouTube videos- so publishing written and video content will be a powerful traffic acquisition strategy.
Check out this Bucknell college website- their oscilloscope page, while rich on information, looks like it's from 1995 (Source):
As a search marketer, when I see pages like this, I see a golden opportunity to provide solid information and enhanced user experience, while earning myself passive affiliate income.
Down the line you can even request oscilloscopes to review from Rigol and Tekton, perhaps donating them to an engineering university department in exchange for video and written content.
How To Get Started
- Do some due diligence on oscilloscopes before diving in- document the different sites, see how you can add value to this niche.
- Use LongTailPro or a free keyword research tool like keywordshitter.com to see where the search volume is- this will help orient your content publication efforts.
- Pick a brandable domain name.
- Figure out how you want to organize your content- you can split content between product reviews and informational 'how-to' style articles. Use WordPress tags and categories intelligently to help curate your site's user experience.
- Begin publishing content and figuring out a content harvesting process you can follow for all the content you create.
- Complex product
- A somewhat small niche (though you can expand broader into 'scientific equipment')
Last Updated on November 15, 2023 by Ryan Nelson