I’m not going to leave you in suspense- it doesn’t appear that Ikea has an affiliate program at this time.
(Email me at email@example.com if this changes.)
I dug deep- even joining the Tradedoubler affiliate network because aff.io suggested that there might be a German Ikea affiliate program available.
Third Party Selling?
Some Googling did reveal that there were rumblings in 2017 that Ikea would be selling on third-party platforms like Amazon (Source). There are Ikea products on Amazon, but according to a statement from Ikea they are unofficial resellers:
“IKEA is not selling products on Amazon or any third party sites at this time. Any IKEA product on Amazon now is being sold by a reseller. IKEA has no relationship with them. Currently, IKEA is only exploring other online platforms. IKEA sells its products at IKEA stores worldwide and on IKEA.com.” (Source)
If you’re desperate to promote this iconic Swedish brand, you’re out of luck for now, unless you’re willing to promote Amazon resellers.
This Swedish-founded multinational group primarily designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture, kitchen appliances home accessories. According to Wikipedia, it has been the world’s largest furniture retailer since at least 2008.
The Company Man YouTube channel produced a great video on Ikea if you want further perspective:
And they’re not just famous for their ready-to-assemble furniture- they also are renown for their meatballs:
Guys, I’m at IKEA having my annual Swedish meatball nostalgia lunch and WILLIAM, COME HOME pic.twitter.com/1yr4zaAtL3
— B (@glacialtide) December 1, 2018
Getting Started With Niche SitesUse the strategies on this page in conjunction with my niche site process. Here it is in a nutshell:
- AuthorityHacker's Authority Site System (my review): a complete, step-by-step system to start growing your own highly profitable affiliate & authority niche site.
- A cloud-based on-page optimization tool: Surfer SEO makes your on-page SEO easier, faster, and more effective than ever using data-driven, real-time signals to rank in search engines.
- A reliable and fast hosting solution like SiteGround (my review)
- A brandable domain name from GoDaddy (my guide)
- A premium theme- I use GeneratePress but there are some cool niche themes on ThemeForest
- SEO Friendly Article Writing ($8-$12 / 1,000 words) from HireWriters (read: my HireWriters review)
- Powerful Backlinks from Authority.Builders (read: my Authority.Builders review)
- An automated social media drip campaign from MissingLettr
- An auto-responder to build your email list– ConvertKit is what I'm using (read: my ConvertKit review)
- Finally- you can always refer to my free step-by-step niche selection guide and all of my free niche reports for inspiration
Ikea Keyword Research
Below, I did some keyword research, extracting 1,000 of Ikea’s top performing keywords, excluding brand terms:
As you can see, Ikea.com ranks for a bunch of great home goods terms:
- sleeper sofa
- bunk beds
- computer desk
- loft bed
- kitchen cabinets
- bathroom vanity
- bathroom vanities
- sofa bed
- floor lamps
- twin bed frame
- duvet covers
- bathroom mirrors
- bed frame
- bar stools
If you wanted to promote Ikea, or another home goods affiliate program, these keyword terms would be a good place to start.
Besides these keywords, Ikea is known for maintaining a lot of their foreign-language product names like “GODMORGON”. There’s probably an amazing SEO opportunity there- ranking for these foreign-language home-goods terms.
I used Facebook Audience Insights to get some details about Ikea’s customer base. According to Facebook, Ikea’s audience is (1) 80% women, that are (2) married, (3) college educated who (4) primarily work in Administrative Services:
Read More Of My Niche Reports
So What Should You Do?
The affiliate marketing landscape is constantly changing.
It’s possible that Ikea launches an affiliate program or begins officially selling on Amazon, but for now your best bet is to explore alternative home good affiliate networks and programs.
Explore Affiliate Networks
These networks have many home goods eCommerce brands with affiliate programs.
Rakuten LinkShare Affiliate Network
For example, as you can see below, if you join Rakuten Linkshare, and go to Programs > Categories, there are some Home categories you can investigate:
ShareASale Affiliate Network
For example, I promote Walmart and Jet.com inside of Rakuten Linkshare and Wayfair inside of ShareASale.
ShareASale, as you can see in the screenshot below, also has a bunch of Home & Garden offerings:
Scrolling through the list, there are affiliate programs like Wayfair, Sofamania (“top quality designer furniture at affordable prices”), Joybird (“high-quality, responsibly sourced furniture meant to last a lifetime”), and more.
What’s great about ShareASale, as opposed to Rakuten LinkShare, is that ShareASale provides a lot of publisher performance data so you can actually see how well the various affiliate programs convert and earn.
CJ Affiliate Network
You can also check out The CJ Affiliate network- as you can see there are some affiliate programs you can use to filter their inventory:
Ahrefs Competitor Analysis
Another way to find some Ikea alternatives is to use the Ahrefs software.
According to Ahrefs, the top 10 organic search competitors in the United States for Ikea include:
- wayfair.com (my program review)
- ashleyfurniture.com (VigLink affiliate program)
- overstock.com (has an affiliate program)
- homedepot.com (my program review)
- lowes.com (my program review)
- target.com (my program review)
- furniture.com (Not at this time)
- walmart.com (my program review)
- ikea-usa.com (N/A)
- mapquest.com (N/A)
Obviously, mapquest and ikea-usa.com aren’t really relevant ‘competitors’.
Another affiliate program I thought I should mention, is the Houzz affiliate program (“Houzz is the new way to design your home. Browse 17 million interior design photos, home decor, decorating ideas and home professionals online.”)
It’s a pretty modern home goods solution that might be worth experimenting with.
Ikea would be a pretty interesting affiliate program to experiment with. It has a big brand name and a ton of popular, proprietary products. That’s a recipe for a decent conversion rate.
Plus there are a bunch of interesting terms you can rank for, including some foreign language terms.