[Gym Equipment] How To Monetize This Neglected Niche For A 6 Figure Lifestyle
If you want to market big-ticket items and make large commissions on high-priced products, this is a great niche for you.
The idea is: Gym Equipment.
Personally, I've made thousands of dollars in this niche.
The general review site I run ranks for hundreds of gym-equipment keyword queries. If you were to create a site dedicated to reviewing gym equipment, you will get organic traffic over time and you will generate affiliate income- even just accidentally.
The first affiliate dollar I ever made was from a test website. It was for a TENS machine. I happened to get traffic to a page simply because I was one of the few people publishing content on a particular model of TENS machine.
There is just so much search volume on both Google and YouTube that it's almost impossible not to have some degree of success in this niche- especially if you focus on producing amazing content.
First, think of all the different types of gym equipment there are:
- Elliptical machines,
- weight benches,
- exercise bikes,
- free weights,
- stair steppers,
- sit up benches,
- gym gloves,
- ab workout equipment,
- stationary bikes,
- rowing machines,
- home gyms,
- power towers,
- vertical leg pressers,
- squat racks, and more...
Plus, each of these pieces of equipment have home and business models- this means you'll attract buyers seeking to outfit a home gym (b2c) as well as gym owners (b2b) looking to buy high-end "commercial exercise equipment" for their health clubs.
Plus, people want "portable" options. They want "commercial" options. They want to buy them "used" or "cheap". They want to compare brands.
It's important to understand that searchers conceptualize their queries in so many different ways that there is always room to create content that appeals to their perspective.
Take a look...
Below is a sampling of "gym equipment" keywords I obtained from LongTailPro.
As you can see, there's tremendous search volume for a variety of keywords plus high advertiser competition. Advertiser competition refers to people bidding on these keywords using Google's AdWords platform- basically high ad competition means there is money to be made ranking for these keywords.
But let's go even further. I ran "elliptical trainer" through LongTailPro; take a look at the search volume for just that term:
To truly conceptualize the massive amount of search traffic volume for these terms- imagine that each keyword from the first table has hundreds of long-tail variations.
We can see that "elliptical" itself has 201,000/month searches, but scrolling through the list, we see amazing opportunities like "best elliptical", "elliptical vs treadmill", "norditrack elliptical", "compact elliptical", "portable elliptical", and on and on...
You can capitalize on this long-tail search traffic and build up a general gym equipment review site that will absolutely crush it.
How To Get Started In This Niche
- If you want a complete, step-by-step system to start growing your own highly profitable affiliate & authority niche site, check out AuthorityHacker's Authority Site System
- A reliable and fast hosting solution like SiteGround (it's what I use)
- A brandable domain name from GoDaddy (my guide)
- A premium theme- I use GeneratePress but there are some cool niche themes on ThemeForest
- Image & graphics from DepositPhotos (all legal and licensed)
- Content from iWriter (my review)
- An automated social media drip campaign from MissingLettr (my review)
- An auto-responder to build your email list– ConvertKit is what I'm using
- Finally- you can always refer to my free step-by-step niche selection guide and all of my free niche reports for inspiration
Mind Mapping It
Gym equipment has a variety of sub-niches you can explore, and many products you can promote.
Plugging the full "gym equipment" keyword list into a word cloud creator, it's evident there is a lot of buyer interest here- "buy", "sale", and "purchase" are some of the more numerous keywords.
Plus- if you commit to publishing images and video across social media, you won't be depending on ranking in Google. You'll have built up a diversified traffic flow to your content, all of which will be monetized with affiliate links.
There's interesting angles to take- you could review cardio gym equipment, strength-training equipment, gym equipment for MMA fighters. Specializing attracts a stronger core audience, while being more general (i.e. just gym equipment) provides greater latitude.
*If Google Trends doesn't load- just refresh the page.
How To Get Started
- Keyword research- I'd recommend using LongTailPro or Ahrefs to examine the keywords
- Determine the 'angle' you want to take
- Choose a brandable domain name
- Start publishing long-form blog content and then harvesting it for cross-platform promotion
- Once you've got 10-15 posts, apply to Amazon Associates (if you aren't already enrolled) to get some commissions rolling in.
- Once you've got a content creation process defined, consider hiring writers or virtual assistants to help begin automate and scale
- Investigate different affiliate programs and alternative monetization strategies
Gym Equipment Market Research
Home Gym Exercise Stats
Consumer Fitness Trends
This niche is pretty lucrative- you can access both residential and business buyers. There's tons of complex products you can help disambiguate.
You can niche down into just "home gym equipment" or "professional gym equipment" or just "elliptical machines" or "weight lifting equipment".
The search engines are just dying for quality content, so rankings are there for the taking if you're willing to hustle and put in the work. In my experience, most people are unwilling to create exceptional content.
This is your competitive advantage.
Trust that if you invest your time in producing best-in-class content, especially for low-competition/buyer-intention keywords- you will make money in this niche.
- Buyers still somewhat hesitant about buying heavy equipment online
- You'll want to be comfortable shooting video- or hiring help to do so