How To Play Candy Crush For A Living
If you grew up obsessed with playing video games, you probably entertained fantasies of doing it professionally.
Maybe you dreamt of becoming a professional video game tester? Maybe a developer, an e-sports superstar or even YouTube gamer?
Most likely you never did any of those things and you're currently sitting in a cubicle day-dreaming how you can make a living playing Candy Crush.
I'm here to tell you that you can...
The niche business idea I'm going to discuss today is, broadly, video games.
My Video Overview
You might think that the video game niche is really played out and competitive, with huge gaming sites soaking up all the traffic.
Yes, that's partly true.
But- there are some interesting angles to take to be competitive in this niche.
I discovered this idea recently scrolling through Flippa, the eBay of online businesses. I stumbled across this mobile gaming site (the auction page has since been deleted) that routinely gets over half a million Page Views a month.
Beat every level of the games we cover! AppTipper.com has written tips & videos – all for free. Join us today!
This site focuses on the mobile game Candy Crush. And it has absolutely insane organic traffic rankings.
Check out some of their rankings:
View Detailed Keyword Breakdown
*Top 50 Keywords:
Like this case study? Sign up for access to detailed niche reports
They are capitalizing on Candy Crush's almost infinite level count. According to this site Candy Crush has 3,175 levels!
As you can see, AppTipper traffic comes from walkthrough/guide long-tail traffic with Keyword Difficulty scores of ZERO.
Here's there level guide for level 3,005, for example. Make sure Ad Block is enabled!
Clearly, every imaginable permutation of Candy Crush level gets hundreds and even thousands of searches and no one is creating content for these queries.
And if you check out some of their metrics from Flippa below, you can see that they get 88% of their traffic from organic search, with 425,416 Page Views in November 2017 earning them $3,807.
I've collected some traffic & analytics information from Flippa and Ahrefs.
According to Ahrefs, the site ranks for 39,000 keywords at the time of this writing in January 2018:
From the auction page you can see a detailed traffic breakdown from December 2016:
Helpfully, Flippa gathers financial information and you can see the site is making between $2,400 and $4,192 a month from ad revenue.
If you think this is a cool idea, give me a share. I'd appreciate it!
Getting Started With Niche SitesUse the strategies on this page in conjunction with my niche site process. Here it is in a nutshell:
- AuthorityHacker's Authority Site System (my review): a complete, step-by-step system to start growing your own highly profitable affiliate & authority niche site.
- A cloud-based on-page optimization tool: Surfer SEO makes your on-page SEO easier, faster, and more effective than ever using data-driven, real-time signals to rank in search engines.
- A reliable and fast hosting solution like SiteGround (my review)
- A brandable domain name from GoDaddy (my guide)
- A premium theme- I use GeneratePress but there are some cool niche themes on ThemeForest
- SEO Friendly Article Writing ($8-$12 / 1,000 words) from HireWriters (read: my HireWriters review)
- Powerful Backlinks from Authority.Builders (read: my Authority.Builders review)
- An automated social media drip campaign from MissingLettr
- An auto-responder to build your email list– ConvertKit is what I'm using (read: my ConvertKit review)
- Finally- you can always refer to my free step-by-step niche selection guide and all of my free niche reports for inspiration
So- an interesting angle you can take with mobile, console or PC games is to do level guides. You can also do video game reviews and other types of content- but the equation I really endorse here is targeting the low hanging SEO fruit.
These will be ultra-low competition searches. That'll get you the traffic, but what about monetization?
This Candy Crush walkthrough site has some really obnoxious ads- including a video ad that plays as soon as the page loads using a paid video player.
They're really aggressive with the ads and are currently making over a thousand dollars a month, according to the seller, from just the video ads.
Traffic + Ads = Profit.
That's the recipe.
Why I Like This Niche
- Fun niche: If you like video games, this is a great niche for you
- Low SEO competition
- Opportunity to rake in traffic from YouTube
Why I Don't Like This Niche
- You will most likely need to do your own video walkthroughs, outsource them, or risk depending on a third party YouTuber for content
- You'll need lots of traffic before you can quit your job using display ads- think at least over 500,000 monthly page views